Monday, January 29, 2007

The Simple Life

Why does it seem so hard to live the simple way? It must be my skewed perception that makes it hard for me to see how simple it is. Please don’t confuse simple with easy, although it sounds like the two should go hand in hand. Is it easy for anyone to live simply, especially when you have to make the choice to do so? It’s got to be more than just making a choice to do without. There are plenty of people who are forced to do without and their lives are far from what I would call simple.

There’s plenty I could do without. But what does it really mean to live simply? Isn’t that what people have been doing for hundreds of years. We’ve been striving to make things more efficient in order that life becomes less complicated, less hectic, but everything just seems to get more and more hectic the more efficient everything becomes.

I’m striving to learn and understand how God wants me to live simply. Is it a matter of simply living for Him? I feel like I don’t have any answers, but way deep down inside there’s something inside trying to get out. I can feel it. It’s like I know what to do, I just don’t know how to do it, or I just can’t see the answer clearly. I’m not sure if I need to take one huge leap of faith or a thousand baby steps of faith.

Whichever way You want it to be Bright Morning Star, I will humbly do. Please give me clarity to see what it is You want me to do or not do. Help me to become who You’ve created me to be. I am here. I am available. I am open.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

chapter 6. 'complexity of simplicity'

"live simply that others may live"

there are plenty of christians who talk about how much God cares for the poor but don't know any poor folks. there is nothing more sickening than talking about poverty over a fancy dinner.

it's too bad that living simply has to be so complicated.

simplicity is meaningful only inasmuch as it is grounded in love, authentic relationships, and interdependence.


(and there's the rub. love, authentic relationships, and interdependence.)

tiffany beaver said...

i'm tellin ya - HOT-Z is talking about my friends in Augusta. we should research their community and start our own. they do those 3 things really well: love, authentic relationships, and DEFINITELY interdependence. they take care of each other like i picture the church in Acts doing. it's amazing!