Saturday, November 15, 2008

funeral

We just celebrated the life of Grandma Payne, an amazing woman of God and Michael's grandmother on his mother's side. Although funerals are never a good thing, something amazing generally always happens at them. So I thought I'd make a list of the good things about Grandma Payne's funeral.
  • celebrating the 89 years of a remarkable woman
  • seeing family that I don't get to see that often
  • meeting family members I haven't met before and learning about their lives
  • hearing stories about the "old" days, when life was much simpler
  • learning that Grandma Payne loved Krispy Kreme donuts and her two favorite seasonings were salt and pepper
  • seeing pictures of the younger versions of people I've only met since I met Michael
  • hearing one of Michael's cousins on the phone with her son say, "I know what's wrong with you, you're 17 and you're a moron."
  • getting to hang out with my sister-in-law, who has also been my "bestest friend" since 8th grade
  • all the hugs
  • all the love
  • lasagna and coca-cola cake!!!
  • the laughter shared by friends and family as we remembered the times when Grandma made us laugh, and the tears shared as we all realized just how much we will miss this remarkable woman who loved the Lord with all her heart and loved her neighbors as she loved herself
  • thanking God for the blessing of this wonderful family He has allowed me to be a part of
  • the reminder that life is short and the reminder of all I take for granted
  • knowing that when I get to heaven, Grandma Payne will be there among my other friends and family who are already there

No comments: