Thursday, October 16, 2008

helpless

Several of my friends recently have expressed to me that they have been in a "funk" or in a "dry place" - basically every one of my friends that I would consider to be a very close friend, and my heart is very heavy for each of them. They have expressed disillusionment with God, Christianity, their lives in general. I am at a loss as to know how to respond. Sometimes my responses to them even sound trite in my own ears; I can't begin to imagine what they must be thinking when I try to offer words of encouragement and hope. I'm not trying to offer some easy way out for them, because I know it's through tough times and times when we don't feel God or sense that He is there that He is even then showing us something, teaching us something, helping us grow, working in us through the struggle.

Each of these friends has a relationship with God that I think is so precious. I have been through some very cool experiences with each of these ladies and I have witnessed special moments of revelation when I have seen God reach down and kiss them on the forehead or draw them into His embrace. I have felt God reaching out to me through them in unique ways that comes out of the depths of their relationship with God, our Daddy.

I have an overwhelming feeling of helplessness, which is probably a good thing. God's probably thinking, "Good, then I can get you out of the way." I may feel helpless but not hopeless. I will hold onto hope for my friends if they ever get to a place where they can barely hang on to it themselves, even if they feel they can't hang on any longer. I will always love them, pray for them, and see the best in them. They are my friends, and my world would be so different without them.

No comments: